My Photo
Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."--Eleanor Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Un Dia Nuevo

Buenos Dias!

Yesterday was such a long day! I only had one class, but afterwards I had orientation for DC Reads and then I had to help my tutee study for her test today (Buena Suerte!). So all of a sudden it was 4pm and I was left wondering where the day had gone.

My class, which was American history, went fairly well. We spent the entire period talking about good writing and our paper assingment. As if by now I am unable to write a decent paper!

DC Reads orientation was a bit long but I think it will be a worthwhile experience. I am going to be tutoring a child in either first, second or thrid grade at La Salle Elementary. I will be going once a week for a couple hours. The school is a fairly nice facility but, at least from what we were told at orientation, some fo the students really struggle with reading and writing. Hopefully, we will be able to make a positive impact on their skills over the course of the semester.

As soon as I got back to campus, I had to meet with my Spanish tutee (student I tutor). We spent about half an hour looking over her review sheet and making sure she felt comfortable with the material. I really think she will do well because she seemed to understand everything and her professor was nice enough to give them a very thorough review sheet.

When I finally got back to my room, (okay, I'll admit it, I actually live in a trailer. I was very skeptical about the situation but really it is kind of nice for housing on a college campus. We have a large living room and a full kitchen in addition to our bedrooms.) I did laundry and started my homework. I started cooking dinner around 5pm because I was making a real, grown-up dinner (i.e. not something frozen) and I knew it would take awhile. I made baked chicken which I marinated in salad dressing, green beans, and baked potatoes. The whole process went rather well which is fairly impressive since I have never really tried my hand at cooking until this fall. The only glitch was that the baked potatoes took a bit longer than I expected but considering the other things which could have gone wrong, I consider myself lucky.

After dinner, I continued chipping away at my mountain of homework. I managed to come up with a topic for my senior seminar paper (If you're curious, I'm going to focus on a few of Seamus Heaney's poems and talk about how hwe uses the figure of a child throughout them) and read some more of Peter Oliver's Origin and Progess of the American Rebellion (only 75 more pages to go! And my 'reward' for finishing it? Starting the paper!). I also spoke with my parents on the phone for a little while.

I need to get going, today's classes and whatnot are about to begin! Hasta luego!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home